[Question #189702]: Distinguishing between Active and Grey text

What is the most efficient way to distinguish between active text and grey or inactive text/button or command? I did a simple experiment on Windows to try and empty the recycle bin. The two line program works fine. But when the recycle bin is empty:

1. The image of the full recycle bin and the empty recycle bin match and the program continues to next command.
2. The next command is to click on the 'Empty recylce bin' text in the drop down menu after right click on the recycle bin image. This command also returns a success. When the image is not exactly same, the text now is grey as the bin is empty.
3. This command where it is waiting for the dialog box which gives the option 'Yes' empty the bin, fails as the dialog box never appeared.

I would have ideally liked it to fail in the first line, or at least in the second. Is there a better way to make this fail if the text is not active?