[Question #201882]: Replace chars in a var

I've made a script, which read some names in to variables.
These names are compared with some names I read in to another variable.

My problem is that some of those names are scandinavian, that means there are special characters in them like: æ, ø and å.
And that means even if i do an:

if nameA == nameB
    print("Match")

It won't match, (Don't know if it's an unicode issue or if you can declare the var something else to avoid this..) so I'm looking into replacing the specials chars, so that Å = AA, Ø = OE and Æ =AE.

I've looked at http://docs.python.org/library/string.html
And found this: string.replace(str, old, new[, maxreplace])
"Return a copy of string str with all occurrences of substring old replaced by new. If the optional argument maxreplace is given, the first maxreplace occurrences are replaced."

And thought it worked something like this:

nameA = "Jørgen Ålesen"

copyOfnameA.replace(nameA, ø, oe)
copyOfnameA2.replace(copyOfnameA, Å, Aa)
print (copyOfnameA2)

and the expected output would be:  "Joergen Aalesen"

Would anyone know the correct syntax for this to work? Or perhaps if it's possible to make a workaround, like declaring the var something that supports scandinavian characters.

Also while on the subject, I have a string with a lot of whitespaces in between the text, I'd like to strip the whitespaces (save one to seperate the words) so that for example:
"Somethingsomething      Something else              texttext"
became:
"Somethingsomething Something else texttext"

Is there a command like .strip that can do that?