Re: [Question #231028]: [1.0] What downlodable package to choose for what purposes?

I fully accept your complaint.

Starting at http://www.sikuli.org/index.html I went through the pages/steps with the point of view of a newcomer and admit, there is no "what for what" information/overview at prominent place.
Yes it is somewhere, but in places, where a newcomer will not get in the first place.

So really thanks for the hint. I will add appropriate information on
http://www.sikuli.org/download.html

--- answer to your question:
- if you just want a quick step into visual scripting like it is provided by Sikuli, the package you need is a Sikuli-IDE-... package (it includes the things needed from Sikuli-API)
- If you are more interested in using the Sikuli features in your Java programs or other Java aware languages (Jython, JRuby, Scala, Groovy, Clojure, ...) and/or prefer your own IDE (NetBeans, Eclipse, JEdit, ...), then a Sikuli-API package is sufficient, but Sikuli-IDE could be used as well.

For Mac we have a special convenience package: Sikuli-IDE-...-App
This is the IDE package wrapped into a standard Mac application, which allows to start the IDE like each other Mac app.

With all other packages on all systems, you currently have to open a
command line window (Terminal on Mac/Linux), to be able to start the
IDE.

Take care: For newcomers on Mac (did not have Sikuli before on their
machine) their is an inconvenience, that will be fixed with the service
update 1.0.1 in July: bug 1185559