Re: [Question #249964]: segmentation error when running the sample Java code

yes, you are running a 32-Bit Java (Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM ).
64-Bit should say: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM

If you downloaded all stuff again after May 30th, then it should work
with Java 32-Bit (the version before did not).

--- About your security validation problem:
Your local Java does not find a valid certificate for the target url (which is on Launchpad and should be valid).
So it might be a problem with your Java installation and/or your local security policies.
This is the first time I heard about that, many other people do not have that problem apparently.
For me e.g. it runs fine with Java 6 to 8.