Re: [Question #253923]: Broke my script using alt editor for sikuli IDE

os ju posted a new comment:
Thanks RaiMan for the offer but it will be a bunch of work to go through
and strip out all the user names and passwords for accounts and stuff to
do that. I have a backup that maybe has 70% of the script. Maybe I will
just recreate it since I can see and read the problem one. It just will
not run and got corrupted some how from using an editor other than the
built in IDE.

A couple quick questions and some feedback/observations.

Do you have a recommendation for an editor to use that is a lil bit
better than the IDE but not overly complicated. I know you use Net Beans
or something like that but seems more than I would need.  Would Notepadd
++, Atom, Jedit, or something be easier? If I did use an external editor
what settings do I need to make sure to set? I saw in Notepad++ when i
tried to use it that you could make a tab 4 spaces instead which I set
and guessed that I needed to since that seems to be what sikuli does.
Since I am a noob I have a question to try and clarify. What language am
I actually working in. There is talk of Jython but is that actually
something or just some sort of method for changing python into Java as
it runs? That is kind of what it seems like to me. Do the alternative
editors need to be setup for a specific language or settings so as not
to corrupt the sikuli py file?

I don't know if you write the documentation or someone else but I find
your answers and examples to questions on here are often much clearer
and to the point than the docs. I try reading them but they confuse the
heck of of me sometimes and then the answer is so simple when I was able
to finally find a example of something elsewhere.

An example would be trying to read through the region section looking
for a way to wait, find, click for something in just a small subsection
of the screen to lessen the burden on the system and speed up the
process. Did not find or understand it. Then saw a youtube example of a
guy who  just click and dragging the region to make it then putting a
period then the action with the graphic in the parenthesis. So easy to
do and easy to understand and made sense.

Another example was trying to learn how to call or run another app from
inside the sikuli script. So I came across the openapp feature in the
docs except it looks like it was an old way and now there was a newer
way something like app.open() or somehting but immediately following
this section are a bunch of examples but every one of them uses openapp.
Not one of the examples shows how to use app.open. So I came on here and
found some other people who had existing topics about it. I found ex and
it worked and was sort of easy except the example was like
app(appname).open()? This worked but from the docs I would have thought
it was suppose to be app.open(appname). Clearly I still do not how to
read this stuff properly. On this subject I have a question, I initially
put the absolute path to the app in the parenthesis. Inside quotes. Is
there a path length limit? It did not work because when it ran it
modified(truncated) the path which caused it to error out. I ended up
just adding the path to the system so I could call it by simple name? Is
that a normal requirement to do that?

Another question. To avoid my scripts being so long and before I go get
lost in the docs and not understand them. Is there a simple way to name
say 50 lines of code/script that I repeat and use over and over again
through out my script as a single name like webfunction or something and
then just type webfunction in the script anytime I want to run those 50
lines of code/script?

One final question. Is there a way to capture "any" script fail or
stoppage and use that to call something else like restart the script
from the beginning or reboot the system, etc?

Thank you again for all your time and efforts. Learning a lot and fast
and enjoying working with sikuli.