[Question #262429]: help with storing highlighted text in linux as variable

I'm selecting the text in a region by double clicking on the are which highlights my static form.  What I'm looking to is store the highlighted text to a variable but I'm struggling due to being on a Linux platform I believe.

I've observed that while highlighting text manually and using the middle mouse button to paste it works just fine, but I also observed that highlighting text and trying to do a paste function into text editor does not work which makes me suspicious that the highlight is not actually copying text to the clipboard.   In other words, I'm beginning to realize that highlight -> middle click does not store information the same way copy / paste traditionally works.

Basically I'm finding out that the following doesn't result in my text being stored in my variable.

doubleClick(reg2) #highlights the text I'm after
type("c" + Key.CTRL)
x=Env.getClipboard()

 Is there a way to store what a "middle click to paste" has in memory to my variable?