[Question #263238]: [error] Region.text: text recognition is currently switched off

Hello.
I am not able to read text in a region when using Sikuli. I selected the tesseract option during the install so I do not think that is the issue. I am also missing the options in the "Tools" tab in Sikuli. I have Sikuli IDE 1.0.1....in the command line prompt I have an error as well that indicates that  "could not open/create prefs root node...returned error code 5."
Any help is appreciated,
Ray