[Question #294807]: Trouble figuring out onAppear

I have read a lot of threads about how to use onEvents but I still can't get my head around it.

The part of the code that should contain this looks a bit like this

while tot < x:
    do stuff
    x += 1

I want it to keep doing stuff unless tot reaches the value of x OR if an image appears (pop up). From what I've read you can let sikuli observe a region in the background for that pop up so the "do stuff" still continues. Why I don't use if not exists() for example is purely a matter of speed.

Some help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated