[Question #661427]: Attempting to work around the inability to pause the script when handling an event using observeInBackground

I've been attempting to stop the script while handling my events when using observeInBackground, and from this answer here: https://answers.launchpad.net/sikuli/+question/295811 you've mentioned this isn't possible but is hopefully in the works for Sikuli 2.

I wanted to know if you could provide any advice for a work around?

You mentioned (in the linked answer) using a global variable, but if I'm expecting to be able to preform several finds in that period and an unexpected popup appears, would there be a "clever" or more efficient way of protecting the script?

Would using try statements with a check in the except be practical (they'd have to wrap almost everything if it was a random popup, no?) or testing for the global variable before clicks?