Re: [Question #667037]: Building a custom Sikuli/Eclipse IDE

Description changed to:
So for the last year I have gone down the path of researching various
automated GUI test tools. One of the more promising ones was Testplant's
Eggplant Functional tool. However, the price is just way too much for my
company at the moment. So I started going down the path of Sikuli and I
have come up with a satisfactory workflow for myself, but I just don't
think it will be satisfactory for those I'll have to school up. So I
work with giant printers and we don't really have spare engineers to
build up tests but we do have a lot of testers that could. I even
created my own drastically simplified Sikuli API(in Java) and all a user
has to do is collect images with the sikuli IDE and piece it all
together within Eclipse using Java. However for someone without a
programming background I fear this might not be enough. So here is what
I am thinking...

An all in one custom Eclipse IDE utilizing a custom DSL with the ability
to capture imagery as well as tweak the target and similarity. This and
the ability to model the interface, that is, laying out that if I
perform Action A on View V, I should now expect to see View V2, where I
could perform Action A2, so on and so forth. So imagine dragging and
dropping a couple Thumbnail/ImageButton/Icon-like controls that
represent the views, the actions that can be performed and how they all
link together in a drawing area. Kind of like UML Designer in Eclipse.

I'm trying to write out requirements for all this but I'd like to
prototype some more first and that's where I'm running into issues of
what to use. For creating a scripting language that builds out Java it
appears that Xtext will be the way to go so that's that. I'm thinking to
create an Eclipse plugin to capture and tweak imagery, that way other
Eclipse users could use just that for their projects(would be nice to
know how to easily hook into Sikuli for this). In regards to
modeling/IDE development I have come across the Eclipse Modeling
Framework and the Graphical Editing Framework but I'm not entirely
certain how to get started.

If anything I'd be curious if people could point me in the right
direction, let me know if something is possible or/not, what Eclipse
tools might be more suitably.. I think what's really throwing me off is
all the various technologies there appears to be; Eclipse Modeling
Project, Graphical Editing Framework, Plugin Development Environment,
Standard Widget Toolkit, Rich Client Platform, Eclipse SDK, Eclipse
Project, e4, etc, etc.

Thank you very much for any useful info.