[Question #676155]: Having trouble with inconsistent drop-down behavior on Windows

I am trying to automate an action where I open a drop-down menu and then click on one of the items from the menu. This is a Java application using Swing, on Java 8, and Windows 10.

Opening the menu works fine, but recognizing the item on the menu seems to change from run to run. I don't know if Windows is doing some font scaling or smoothing, but the png and what I see on the screen look pretty close, to my eye, but apparently not to Sikuli.

I've tried both click and a hover + click.

I wanted to try OCR instead, to see if that was any more resilient to whatever else might be changing between runs, but I am having trouble finding examples of that.

I have added:
Settings.OcrTextRead = true;
Settings.OcrTextSearch = true;

but when I try:
Region menuItem = appWindow.exists("Open Notebook", 0);

I get:
[error] Region: handleImageMissing: Response.ABORT: aborting
[error] Region: Did you want to find text? If yes, use text methods (see docs).
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Exists: Abort:ImageMissing: Open Notebook
	at org.sikuli.script.RunTime.abortScripting(RunTime.java:1107)
	at org.sikuli.script.Region.exists(Region.java:2372)
	at com.illumon.guitest.TestIrisGui.main(TestIrisGui.java:139)

Thanks for the help,
Paul