[Question #678626]: Switching off all currently active highlighting

I have a situation where I need to highlight various regions. Sometimes more than one should be highlighted at the same time,  depending on the content of the screen, and I cannot know in advance which regions will be highlighted and for how long they should remain highlighted. As the script needs to continue, I must start the highlighting without a time parameter.

The problem here is to stop the highlighting. I cannot just highlight the region again without a time parameter, because if it is not highlighted, I will get highlighted. I tried to highlight it for a specific time, but that does not cancel the highlighting that was started without a time parameter.

I could of course track all started highlighting, and then cancel exactly the highlightings that are active. I wonder whether there might exist a (probably not documented) command that cancels the highlighting of a region, if it is on, but does not start it? Or a command to cancel all active highlightings?

Thank you.