sloecode-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Sloecode Plans

On 23/02/11 08:16, Thomi Richards wrote:
Hi,

Now that we have a mailing list, I thought it would be a good idea to
work out where to go from here.

Right now we have everything (web-app, smart server, client plugins)
working, but there are a few points I'd love to see improved.
Specifically:

For the web-app:
  * It'd be nice to have a proper web-design, rather than an ad-hoc
programmers design.
  * There are still a few bugs, for example, users who are also admins
get redirected to the wrong place after updating their user details.
  * There's still only one help page for admins, and nothing for regular users.
  * I'd like to see instructions (maybe as a help page, maybe not) for
users to download a bzr client for their platform (same for the
bzr-sloecode plugin).
  * I think we need instructions (probably as help pages) on how to do
the most basic bzr operations. pull, branch, diff, commit, merge,
push.
  * We need to show some repository information for personal repos and
project repos. To start with, perhaps just show the branches
available. Maybe we have a more detailed view that shows the commit
log or something similar.

The smart-server works, although there are a few issues. There are
still lots of 'TODO' comments in the code. For example, the connection
to the XMLRPC server for auth info is fully synchronous. Maybe we
don't care anymore (in which case we should strip these comments out),
or maybe we do - in which case the code needs to be tweaked.

The Bazaar client plugins work very well - these are now stored in a
separate 'bzr-sloecode' project on launchpad that is owned by the same
development team as the 'sloecode' project, so if you have commit
rights to the sloecode repo you can commit to bzr-sloecode as well. We
need to package these into a stand-alone installer for windows (and
possibly other platforms?)

I'd appreciate your input on all these points. What have I missed? It
would be nice to have a list of things to work towards.

Cheers,

Hi All,

WRT the documentation (points 4 & 5), how many clients are we looking at
providing help documentation for?

My initial thoughts on the help/docs would be that we have a main page that
documents the main points then have links that branch out to the specifics
(mainly regarding clients).

For example it could read something like:
* Blurb about Sloecode
* Blurb about bzr
* Description/Introduction to bzr (well, VCS) way of life
* Outline of _our_ intended work-flow for those new to DVCS
(i.e.) You will take these steps: clone/pull, work, merge/commit, push etc.
  make it step-by-step easy for them to use, stick to the basics.
* Description of the plugin
* Links to specifics for the users chosen clients to achieve the above

Where each specific link will follow a template as well
i.e. 1. Intro 2. download/install 3. how to achieve your work-flow steps.

I dare say we could pilfer ideas from existing documents; for instance:
http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/latest/en/mini-tutorial/index.html

I'm willing to help out with the doc writing.

I have some experience (although I'm by no means an artist :) ) with webpage
stuff, so I can spend some time looking into it's appearance unless you have
someone else in mind? Could always collaborate etc.

Perhaps we should take some time assigning bugs to people and getting estimates of time-to-complete etc. (this may also include adding new bugs to the list). While we're at it we could make a list of action points (i.e. package it up) and
assign them as well.

Totally agree with showing the repo details, should brainstorm what would be
good to have and prioritise that as well.

My 2c,
Chris