software-store-developers team mailing list archive

Re: enums style proposal

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 12:45:16PM +1200, Matthew McGowan wrote:
> Hi folks,
Hi Matthew,

> I have just pushed a branch 'enums-style-idea' and thought i should explain
> myself.
>
> The main reason i did it was to make our enums imports go from something
> akin to this (as seen in appdetailsview_gtk.py):
> from softwarecenter.enums import (PKG_STATE_INSTALLING_PURCHASED,
>                                   PKG_STATE_INSTALLED,
[..]
>                                   )
>
> to this:
> from softwarecenter.enums import AppActions, PkgStates, Icons,
> SOFTWARE_CENTER_PKGNAME
>
> Usage of enums within code would look something like this:
> if state == PkgStates.INSTALLED:
[..]

Thanks a lot for doing this work! When I did the work to make the code
pyflakes clean I noticed too that the overlong imports are pretty ugly
(and errorprone as its just too easy to forget one). The level of
granularity in the new code is good IMO. I meant to work on something
like this as well and I'm happy that you already fixed it now.

> Enums that dont really fit into a logical group i have left separate, i.e.
> SOFTWARE_CENTER_PKGNAME remains an 'ungrouped' enum.  There are a few other
> examples.

I think thats fine. I will also move stuff like BUY_SOMETHING_HOST out
of this file as it does not really belong there.

> So is this a good idea or not?

Very good idea!

Cheers,
 Michael