software-store-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Rearranging the software item screen

On 17/06/11 19:12, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> As part of the current design project, Calum and I identified three main
> features missing from the software item screen:
> *   multiple screenshots
> *   videos
> *   item-specific recommendations, i.e. "People also installed...".
>
> I drew a wireframe adding these three things to the existing layout.
> Then I tried a major rearrangement to see if I could find a better layout.
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=p58-small.png>
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=p59-small.png>
> (second attempt at the major rearrangement)
>
> In both layouts, videos and screenshots are combined in a single gallery
> with thumbnails. If any videos are present, they come first in the gallery.
>
> In the rearrangement, there are several changes. Maybe they're all good,
> maybe some of them are, maybe none of them are.
>
> *   The installation state bar is gone, replaced by an "Install for
>     Free", "Buy for $X", or "Remove" button under the summary (like in
>     USC 2.0).
>     !   This would require figuring out where to put the other stuff
>         that appears in that bar, like progress bars and error messages.
>
> *   The description is collapsed down to a single paragraph or so, with
>     the rest available by clicking an expander.
>
> *   The technical metadata (package name, version, size, license etc) is
>     moved into a column by itself, below the icon.
>     +   This would reduce the scrolling required to get to reviews (or,
>         for that matter, to get to the metadata).
>     -   It would work poorly for long package names.
>
> *   The video/screenshot gallery takes up nearly the whole window width.
>
> *   By default, only the most helpful review is shown, with the others
>     available by clicking an expander.
>
> *   The "Reviews" section shows the average rating (as well as the
>     distribution of ratings). This conflicts with showing it at the top
>     of the screen, though.
>
> I welcome your opinions on any of these, or sketches of alternative ideas.
>
> Thanks

I prefer the first image (p58-small.png) and the layout on the left. I
think with the extra
space we will gain from removing the sidebar, this makes better use of it
(with screenshots and videos alongside the description).

--
Andrew

--
Andrew