software-store-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Rearranging the software item screen

Hey all,

Disclaimer: I have not read the replies, apologies if i cover existing
territory.

Are the changes proposed arbitrary or are they based on user testing
evidence or other?  This is not clear and i think the reasons need to be
made more explicit.  It's a lot of effort to rearrange the UI and we should
be as clinical as possible...

I really think we should make explicit UI issues users are having and work
from there.  Currently what issues do the mockups deal with in a
satisfactory manner?  The UI is subjective territory but nevertheless we
should work from some evidence and issues.

For instance why is so much importance being placed on Version, License and
Total Size?  The position proposed in  p59-small creates a large amount of
empty space in the left hand margin and for what gained value?  How much
does the average user gain from knowing these particulars?  Of these
details, in my personal usage all i really would be interested in is the
download size, and only then if i was on a restricted/slow internet
connection. On a high bandwidth connection, however, i would only care about
this stuff when i actually selected a package to intsall, and even in this
scenario it's merely academic.

On the otherhand we are suggesting truncating the app description
initially... not sure this is wise but this is based on my gut instinct
only. Is there evidence to suggest this is best?  The user can have the app
description, the only truely comprehensible information about the app,
available in full before anything else.  Why artificially limit this? We
have the description in its totality on the hard-drive, there is no real
latency issues we have to deal with... we need to be careful how we decide
upon limiting otherwise immediate information.

Personally i think the item-view is not terribly wrong, but to improve it
the big challenge is dealing with what information should be contextual and
what should be static, which buttons/links/data are necessary all of the
time and what is necessary in specific circumstances.

PS: I am loving the mailing list activity.

Cheers,
matt m