software-store-developers team mailing list archive

Re: GTK3 UI feedback (Re: Home screen artwork)

Yo,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi Matthew
>
> (Would you mind/prefer if we continued this discussion in public on
> software-store-developers@? Just in case anyone else wants to help out.)

No problem, I'll include the list in my reply!  :)

> Matthew McGowan wrote on 27/07/11 00:53:
> >> - -  Sorry, this is a mistake in the wireframes: "All Software" and
> >> "Installed" should be dual menubuttons, i.e. a button with a menu
> >> next to it, where the menu opens left-aligned with the button (like
> >> the New Document menubutton at the top left of a LibreOffice document
> >> window). That way, just clicking on "All Software" takes you straight
> >> back to the home screen; it's only if you click the triangle that you
> >> get the geeky list of sources.
> >
> > Yep, wasn't sure how these were meant to behave, this i can rework.
>
> My fault entirely. I've made this clearer now, with a sketch and test
> case. <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter#navigation-bar>

> > am also keen to try make these into an Gtk.Action's but thats an
> > implementation detail.
>
> I guess turning them into Gtk.Actions would make it easier to implement
> the "Go" menu. <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter#Menus> But that's
> a low priority compared with the rest of the UI. :-)
>
> > OT: I wonder if PPA's couldn't be exposed in the
> > lobby itself, perhaps beneath the Departments list?
>
> They could. That could substantially lengthen that box, which would in
> turn affect the height of the "What's New" area next to it (and
> eventually the "Recommended For You" area, once it's implemented), which
> would mean the number of new/recommended items people saw by default
> would depend on how many PPAs they had. That's kind of a feeble reason
>  not to do it, though...

> Perhaps a better reason is that when you add a PPA, it's usually because
> you're installing one thing from it immediately -- and once you've done
> that, you don't visit it any more, you keep it just for automatic
> updates. So they don't deserve much real estate.

You raise good points

> That could work. The main use case I'm concerned with is this: You see
> an interesting banner, but it flips to the next one just before you have
> time to click it. How do you get it back? We could do paging dots (like
> on <http://www.canonical.com/> right now), but I think something that
> shows a snippet of all the banners all the time would be more obvious.
> Maybe there are other ways to do it?

Perhaps a thumbnail when hovering a paging dot?  Banners seem to me like
something passive rather than demanding interaction.

Cheers,
Matt