Graphics switching: some questions

Hi all,

now that graphics switching works, I have some minor questions:

1. What exactly is the difference between the nv driver from xorg and
the proprietary nvidia driver? Performance? The card works with both of
them. However, the xorg driver doesn't need library switching on my
system.

2. When the nv driver is in use (possibly same with nvidia, don't
remember), the cursor down and left keys don't autorepeat by default. I
have to add "xset r 113; xset r 116" to my .xinitrc. Not a problem, but
can anybody explain that? What the heck has the keyboard to do with the
graphics driver?

3. Klaus said that before graphics switching the laptop should be
powered off. Out of curiosity, I switched it on a running system and
rebooted normally. This didn't cause any problems. The content of /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/speed_stamina may be wrong, but that can easily be corrected. So I wonder if powering down is really necessary and if so, why?

Regards,
Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink