Utilizing all that our Alps Touchpad has to offer...

Hello everyone,

Before using my Vaio on Linux, I was using a Mac running OS X.  A feature
that I really missed was the two-finger horiz/vert scroll that Macs come
enabled with in OS X.  I have figured out a rather hackish way to get this
far to enable it on my Vaio Z520N.

1)  copy the shmconfig.fdi to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/
2)  cd into /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/
3) backup existing 11-x11-synaptics.fdi
4) copy in the updated one I've provided

In order to tweak the settings, from a terminal you should run
$ synclient -m 10
and pay attention to the z axis when using two fingers, the value it outputs
can be edited in the 11-x11-synaptics.fdi file to your liking

<merge key="input.x11_options.EmulateTwoFingerMinZ" type="string">100</merge>

...My value is at 80 or 85 (still playing with it)

Sources cited:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1127095&page=2
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Ubuntu_9.04_(Jaunty_Jackalope)_on_a_ThinkPad_T400<http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Ubuntu_9.04_%28Jaunty_Jackalope%29_on_a_ThinkPad_T400>

*The interesting Source: will help with future hacks and adjustments to my
trackpad
http://linux.die.net/man/5/synaptics

I believe there are still a couple of issues however...
My main question is, now my touchpad doesn't seem to work from login screen,
not a huge deal, but could anyone give me some advice?  Im running Ubuntu
Jaunty with 2.6.28-15 generic.  Also, I will have to add more parameters to
get a more functional trackpad with the precision the Mac has.

Many people just carry a bluetooth or mini-usb mouse.  I for one really do
like to utilize my trackpad, and these instructions have helped quite a
bit...

Hope someone else finds them helpful
-Anthony