with all the system and graphics driver modification, has anyones webcam stopped working?

just a quick question i guess.
im not sure what could possibly have done it, and i cant find anything
out there where this has happened before because the webcam is always
supported out of box.
it shows up as it should with lsusb and that seems to mean it is
installed, however /dev/video seems nonexistant or inaccessible.
i tried creating the directory as well as setting my permissions for
video group and stuff.

mostly the only reason im posting it here is because of this message:
No DGA direct video mode for this display.
mode: 1600x900, depth=24, bpp=32, bpl=6400, base=unknown
which i heard was about xawtv but is definitely not at this point.
if this has nothing to do with graphics or video or display but only
to do with my camera, and there is no chance in heck its the fault of
graphics configuration then i apologize for posting here.
its just that some hardware for this laptop that supposedly always
works does not seem to be working so i thought it might be relevant
here.
but if anyone has any simple guides or faqs about how /dev/video or
anything works then that would be great. or any ideas at all. im
pretty confused.