Re: Debian Lenny: Nvidia 190.53

Hello Mario,

Am Freitag, den 12.02.2010, 10:57 +0100 schrieb flake@xxxxxxxxxx:
> please find attached the log files for the sony module (modinfo), nvidia module and
> the xorg output. There is no clear error but the screen switch off and remains black when starting the X-server.

Some questions:

Did you install the nvidia driver with the janitor script?

If yes, for debian only the driver from nvidia ftp-server is supported
by the janitor script, since I have not enough time to implement all
eventualities...
Did you remove all nvidia related libs and drivers before you invoked
the janitor script?

After you did the part with the janitor script in stamina mode, you have
to reboot in speed mode and then you will not have any x-server at all.
You must login to the textual console and enter the command

  sudo nvsetup

Did you do that step? (Just to be sure of that)

That normaly should install the driver, stop the running Xserver you may
have noticed and start the new Xserver for you, with nvidia driver
acceleration.

In your X-org log this entry:
   Built-in logo is bigger than the screen.
makes me gues, that your xorg.conf file is not correct.

The 'nvsetu' script which the janitor script creates, installs the
nvidia driver with '-X' s argument, which invokes the nvidia-xconfig
utility to create a brand new xorg.conf. Then it renames the this
xorg.conf files to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.NVIDIA.

What says:

ls -l /etc/X11/xorg*

There are so much possible reasons for that what you described, it
always feels like a little miracle when it works ;-)

Raphael Gradenwitz