Lucid on VGN-Z and VPC-F

Hello All,
I have a (now old, last year top of the line :) ) Sony VGN-Z that I got
working with Karmic full functional, with the help of members of this
list, most prominently Raphael and Peter [Thanks Guys]

Saturday I tried Lucid alpha 3 and failed miserably. the display went
upside down (literally, it the zero went to at bottom right instead of
top left). in a panic, I formatted the partition and reinstalled Karmic.
will give it another go when I calm down.

one of my very influential friends has become very interested in Ubuntu,
and he owns a VPCF119. He has formatted his drive a couple of times but
has not been able to install the graphic driver (Nvidia 310M) and is
"surviving on Windows 7". it is very important for the Ubuntu ecosystem
in Vancouver to have this guy with us, so I thought I may ask if anyone
here knew of someone who has got a similar machine running, or perhaps
the VPC architecture has the same rules about BIOS and graphic drivers
that the Z series have.

Any help is greatly and deeply appreciated.
Cheers,
Rex