Re: VPC Z11 and video questions

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Chris Cannam
<cannam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> haven't yet tried Xavier's suggestion of booting with an older kernel
> first.

I have now, and it does work.  I wonder how.

To recap, with Arch I just installed the LTS (i.e. older) version of
the kernel, added it to GRUB, then rebooted into it; made sure the
switch was set appropriately (Stamina in my case) even though none of
the card switch lights was lit; then rebooted from the console (X
didn't come up with the older kernel) and picked the "modern" kernel
with KMS-based Intel video driver instead.

When it came up, the nVidia card was absent from lspci and power
consumption at idle (but with all wireless etc switched on) was down
to about 16 watts from 25 or 26 previously.

Very interesting, thanks Xavier.

Chris