INTEL card issues on Sony Vaio VPC Z1

Hi all,

I'm running CentOS 5.5 (yeah, I know this is a Ubuntu list, but there's so much knowledge and expertise about Linux on VAIO Z series laptops here that I hope you will want to help me anyway, if you can) on a 2.6.35.1 kernel and Sony VAIO laptop np7 module patched as suggested by Adam. I have carefully followed Adam's instructions about how to load the i915 module properly (that is, using the rc.local.moved script which prints a lot of "....." before actually loading the module), but I still get a hardlock of the machine with a black, off, screen. The machine cannot be accessed nor pinged from the network and even Caps Lock LED is not lighting up, so it looks like a complete kernel hardlock. This has consistently been the behaviour until now, no matter which precautions I have taken: as soon as I try to load the i915 module with modeset=1, I get this hardlock. I am running on CentOS 5.5 with a rebuilt Xorg tree since the one which ships with the OS is too old for the latest 2.12.0 Intel userspace driver. I used to do the same with my previous VGN Z series Vaio and it was working perfectly, since I did not need to use KMS. But since with this new VPC KMS is mandatory for using the Intel card, I'm completely stuck. Has anyone any suggestions.

Thanks a lot for everybody's time,
cheers

Paolo

Paolo Tosco, Ph.D.                 Phone: +39 011 6707680
Dipartimento di Scienza            Fax:   +39 011 6707687
e Tecnologia del Farmaco           Mob:   +39 348 5537206
Via Pietro Giuria, 9               E-mail: paolo.tosco@xxxxxxxx
I-10125 Torino
Italy                              http://www.open3dqsar.org