Ubuntu install Failed - Sony VPCZ135GG

Hi, this is my first time trying to install Ubuntu. I actually got this new notebook to install ubuntu - I just can't stand Windows. Here's my config,

Sony VPCZ135GG
Intel Core i5-580M
4G memory
NVIDIA 330M Graphics

My trial steps as below according to instructions.

1. I downloaded from the official site ubuntu 10.10 desktop version (32 bit).
2. Flashed it onto a USB drive
3. Restarted computer
4. Boot into USB drive

Then the problems starts to occur. First I notice that the screen becomes pink (instead of the normal brown / orange) and the fonts are barely readable, but I can still make out the icons for "try ubuntu" and "install ubuntu". Seems like it's an obvious driver problem. I try to go on with the "install ubuntu" option even the screen is abnormal thinking that there might be possible ways to fix this after install and update. Installation finishes. I try to reboot and it just stalls with the screen blank and the CPU running hot.

Someone asked me to try nomodeset, but it is still pink...

Pls help! I really can't stand windows!!!!!

Thanks in advance!