Re: WWAN Gobi firmware

I tried one of them (the smallest files one). I am in Denamrk but could not get it to work. So far I have given it up a little bit and I just use an external USB Huwai modem, which works perfectly also om the train where I mostly need it. The Vaio Z12 built in Gobi works poorly on the train using the Windows drivers. It is decent when I am stationary, but all in all I am not impressed with how the Gobi device works.

Maybe it's just the Windows drivers which are not quite as good as they should, but I fear the Gobi hardware is just nor nearly as good as my external Huwai, so given my problems getting Gobi to work under Linux I decided to give at a rest.

I tried following this guide, but it does not quite work for me:http://westhoffswelt.de/blog/0045_howto_setup_sony_vaio_x_wwan_gobi_2000_under_ubuntu_linux.html

Somehow the Ubuntu network applet thinks the device is something different from my Huwai. At least for the Huwai I can set the APN for my provider, whereas for the Gobi the settings dialog is different and does not allow me to set the APN.

Maybe it's because the system think Gobi is a GSM and not an UMTS device.
Perhaps I should try some of the other firmware files from the Windows install :-)

-Martin L

Den 21-11-2010 19:10, Simon Brown
Hi,

I've just bought myself a Z12 and I'm almost up and running with just
the Gobi USB modem remaining.

I've extracted the driver package into my windows VM so can get at the
firmware, but don't know which set to choose. I've tried experimenting
but it just seems to lock up that part of the USB bus. I'm in the UK
and want to be able to work with both Orange (France Telecom) and O2
(Telefonica)

Can anybody advise me which firmware I need to load for those
operators?

Thanks

Simon