Re: Brightness control on nvidia

> This is interesting, so that would mean that the "physical connection" of
> the Intel card to the backlight is in fact *not* physical at all, but
> instead it's a software situation that results from the BIOS's way of
> initializing things ?

	Ahh, no, I don't believe so. The reason that I say this is that we use
either a modified BIOS to enable static switching, or the old kernel boot
trick, in order to get the Vaio to initialise the NVidia card and disable the
Intel card completely in order to get the NVidia drivers to work. If the link
to brightness was configurable, then it would seem strange that Sony added
these options in the BIOS, but then didn't link the brightness to the NVidia
card at the same time!

> It would be really, really great to be able to fix the mapping, so that the
> NVIDIA card can then control everything.  I'm pretty damn sure this is just
> a matter of getting more exposure (ie: more knowledgable kernel and/or
> "Nouveau" developers) about this issue, what do you think ?

	Well, what it needs is someone who really knows how VGA cards work in
terms of initial set-up by the BIOS. We could then "undo" what was done for
the Intel card and re-do what the BIOS does in static mode for the NVIdia.

	Moving on from that, if X has a way of saving a session ( well, window
posisions and screen content in a way that is independent of VRAM, ) then we
could even have dynamic switching working, i.e.

Save session state and exit X.
Unmap Intel card
Remap NVidia
Run X with restored session.

	Unfortunately I don't have this knowledge or the time to acquire it :(.

Adam.