Re: getting kubuntu 10.10 installed

Since I set this up straight out of the box I didn't realize the performance hit but my test actually shows this is considerably worse than your numbers but I don't have old kernels or unencrypted to compare against.  I've attached the graph (not sure if the attachment will be stripped for the list though) against dm-4 which is my mounted luks encrypted root partition.  Note that this model is dual 64G SSDs.  Out of curiosity I also bench'd my /boot which is of course unencrypted.  The graph I think ended up a bit skewed because of the small partition size and some caching but just looking at the minimums is an enormous difference.  I had no idea my performance was such a small fraction of what it could be.

> Please note that the severity of this latency issue correlates with the
> CONFIG_HZ kernel config. You can use `grep CONFIG_HZ= /boot/config-*`
> get the value for each installed kernel. 100HZ (Ubuntu default) results
> to ~10ms latency, 300HZ and 1000HZ give me ~3ms, 100HZ with an old
> kernel (2.6.32) achieves ~0.2ms.
My kernel is set to the 100 default.

<snipped>

> > 4-5hrs of battery on speed with wireless off and browser closed
> (flash is a battery killer) and no additional tuning
>
> 4-5 hours with NVidia graphics and the resulting maximum brightness?
> I barely get down to 12W with minimum brightness, only Intel graphics,
> no wireless and idling, which would result in a 4h55m battery lifetime.
Yes, but I'm extrapolating from what powertop is telling me and regular usage during which I haven't gone below 40% charge - I didn't run a proper battery rundown test so my data may be way off.

You now have me very interested in the bug you've found.  I have a Dell E6410 with a 256G SSD in the office that is not RAID of any sort or encrypted that I'll test (as is) on Monday for curiosity.

Thanks,
Jon