microphone problem

Hello

thanks to the information on this list and Adam's kernel (from
http://www.voip-x.co.uk/files/adam/) I've got my VPCZ1 working pretty well.
I flashed the bios, and I can now switch between nvidia and intel graphics
by flicking the hardware switch and rebooting, which is great.

The one remaining problem I have is with the inbuilt microphone, which just
doesn't work. My sound output works fine, and in the "Input" tab of the
sound settings, I have choices for both "Microphone 1" and "Microphone 2",
as well as "Line In". Whichever of these I select, I get no input. If I
choose Microphone 2 and increase the input volume, I can see background
noise registering on the volume meter, but recording or using skype confirms
that no sound is coming in from outside. I've checked using alsamixer that
the volume levels are up for the microphone, and that nothing is muted. Does
anyone have any pointers?

thanks!

Hal