Re: status of graphics switch support in vanilla kernels

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:14 PM, Justin Karneges <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anyone know if sony-laptop-zseries-0.9np7-v3.patch (or any other
> obscure
> patch Adam is using) has been merged into the official kernel?

Still not there, but I just tested an installation of natty alpha 2 from
scratch and results are pretty good: installation with the graphic switch in
stamina mode (intel driver) works fine with the standard installer without
any tweaking.
After the installation everything works properly, although both video cards
looks enabled with lspci. No touchpad/keyboard freeze without adding any
kernel parameter. 3g wireless and fingerprint reader work after installing
the appropriate packages already available without too much trouble.

The missing bit/tweakings:
- you need to add "acpi_osi=" to the grub parameters in order to make the
graphic switch work properly (leds turns on properly after this)
- the changes made by adam to the sony-laptop module are still not in so you
have to download version 7np, patch it with adam's patch and install
manually. This fixes the video card enabling/disabling so that lspci only
shows one card enabled at a time.

I can't say about the SSD/raid support since my model has a standard HD.

pretty near... anybody have any idea how to push for adding
sony-laptop-module changes to the default distribution?

fabrizio