Re: Which Linux distro?

Hello Tristan,

It is not so much a distro issue per see, but it is a kernel issue. The
hardware on the sony vaio z13 serie is relatively well supported (in a basic
way: to allow you to be productive on your laptop, I am not talking about
switching graphic cards) by recent kernel such as 2.6.38 which was
officially release some weeks ago. As you can imagine, no (or few)
distribution has been able to release a stable version of their OS with that
kernel yet.

So this is the issue: most of the current mainstream distributions are using
older kernel (Ubuntu Maverick is using 2.6.35 for example), and small
"tricks" are often needed to boot/install the distribution with such kernel
in the first place, but as soon as you are able to install the 2.6.38
kernel, you should be fine.

Many people have managed to install Ubuntu and Fedora on their hardware with
minimal fuss.

If you are not comfortable with installing custom kernels and adding
parameters to grub boot loader, maybe you should simply wait for the next
release of the mainstream distro (Ubuntu Natty will ship with 2.6.38, Fedora
15 too, I am not sure about the others), and most of your hardware should be
supported out of the box.

If you are comfortable with tinkering with your system, then you can check
our wiki on the subject for inspiration (and don't hesitate to check the
method for models that are slightly different from your own), and eventualy
report on your success/failure.

http://linux-on-sony-vaio-z.wikispaces.com/
http://linux-on-sony-vaio-z.wikispaces.com/VPCZ135GG

Warm regards,