Re: Issues installing 0.9np8pre3 module

On Fr, 02 Sep 2011, Leonardo Rodriguez wrote:
> anyone?

Apparently not.

What do you expect, that we solve all your problems?

> On 08/29/2011 01:41 PM, Leonardo Rodriguez wrote:
>> watts idle. On the 2.6.40 kernel it displays 0Wh (Anyone know how to fix
>> this?).

You don't say how you checked that, and it is probably that your
user space is to old. Furthermore, I assume that 2.6.40 means
actually 3.0.0, right?

>> 5) Running the Intel card (switch set to Stamina) on 2.6.40 shows both
>> VGA cards running (this is the main issue). The 2.6.40 kernel displays
>> 0Wh, but I can tell its consuming more than 17.4 watts by manually
>> calculating it.

Not necessarily. I see also both cards, but still can run down to
below 10W.

>> I would like to run with the Intel card only, so the battery lasts
>> longer (should idle at around 11 watts I believe).

What about checking the usual suspects first?
What is your CPU freq, do you have a proper governor running?
Do you run powertop and check who is eating the watts?

>> was download the 0.9np8pre3 module and as regular user I ran "sudo make
>> install". Is that all there is to it?

I guess you have to run make first, before running make install, at least
this is what the makefile shows.

>> Running $modinfo sony-laptop shows the proper version "0.9np8pre3" (see
>> below). Does that mean the module is installed and running?

Not necessarily. What does the output of lsmod say?
What does the output of dmesg say? Do you see something like that:
[   40.210665] sony_laptop: Sony Programmable IO Control Driver v0.9np8
[   40.217265] sony_laptop: detected Type3 model
[   40.242835] sony_laptop: device allocated minor is 58
[   40.245483] sony_laptop: acpi_callreadfunc failed
[   40.246975] sony_laptop: Determined GFX switch ACPI path as \_SB.PCI0.OVGA._DSM.
[   40.325281] sony_laptop: Speed/stamina switch: stamina.
[   40.391573] sony_laptop: Sony Notebook Control Driver v0.9np8
[   40.401745] sony_laptop: found Vaio model ID: 19763

>> How do I know the module is actually running? How do I configure the
>> module parameters for keyboard backlight etc? I would like to have the
>> keyboard backlight working, and disable bluetooth.

/sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop/ should have the proper files if you
are running the right module. I have here:
$ ls /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop
battery_care_limiter  lid_resume_control  speed_stamina     touchpad
bluetoothpower	      modalias		  subsystem@	    uevent
driver@		      odd_power		  thermal_control   wwanpower
fanspeed	      power/		  thermal_profiles

Best wishes

Norbert
PITLOCHRY (n.)
The background gurgling noise heard in Wimby Bars caused by people
trying to get the last bubbles out of their milkshakes by slurping
loudly through their straws.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff