Re: VGN-Z620N Help required, Thanks!

Hi Sohrab,

please reply only to this mailing list and not (only) to me.

Am 19.09.2011 14:17, schrieb Sohrab Naushad:
> Thanks for your help Raphael! I got it working with ubuntu 11.04.
> Really great work I appretiate it.

It seams to me that you did not get nothing to work! It only appears
to be working but do you realy understand what's going on and what you
are doing?

> 1) Once I boot into speed mode. If I reboot it goes back into
> stamina mode without me moving the switch. Do I have to edit the
> kernel command line every time I want to go back into speed mode?

Your Bios is R4044M3. I don't know that one since I use an unlocked
R2168M3 and I am realy happy with that one on my VGN-Z21MN!
Is automatic switching enabled in your BIOS?

For my solution there is no need to edit the kernel commandline every
time. No, you should not even do that unless you want to disable
everything. You only have to switch the slider BEFORE you reboot in
order to next bootup in the new (speed/stamina) mode. If you have
started in speed-mode and want to start in speed-mode again, dont do
nothing and it will start in speed-mode again. If it does not, you
must have done something wrong. Mostly yet booting with both cards
running, than it falls back to stamina because speedmode only works
when the intel card is hidden and switched off.

> 2) I use Unity so I cant use the rfkill applet is there any other
> place I can use the sysctl's for turning off the CD-ROM and battery
> care functions etc?

That is true, the Unity desktop - which I use as well, does not
support the rfkill-applet. You have to use rfkill on the console instead:

sudo apt-get install rfkill && man rfkill

Since you are running Kernel "2.6.38-11-generic", those other features
(sysctl's for turning off the CD-ROM and battery care functions) won't
work since they require kernel >= 2.6.39

How did you compile the sony-laptop kernel module? By the Janitor-script?
Please send me a trace from one Janitor-Script run (option -x or
- --debug, you'll find the trace file in /var/log/sony-laptop-zseries)

> 3) Compiz seems slowers on Nvidia than with the Intel driver :S

Same answer as under 1)

(TOFU [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style] removed for free!)

Regards,
- --
Raphael Gradenwitz
*** GnuPG-FP: 3FEC B9A0 E784 F9B9 8AFA ECD3 EBE1 4E73 B309 66B4 ***