Sony Vaio VGN-Z11MN

Hello all of you! :)

I'm new here and I hope I can get some information using that in subject
mentioned notebook (Sony Vaio VGN-Z11MN) under Linux Ubuntu, Mint, or
whatever.

I know it's quite an old model, but for the "normal use" still quite
good.

I bought this used notebook after my old netbook seemd to slow for me
and my needs, and was very excited when it arrived. I didn't checked
before if there would be some issues with that notebook, so i tried to
install ubuntu 11.10 and that was the start of an odyssey.

To make a long speech short, I was not able to get the installed Nvidida
Card (GeForce 9300M GS) set to run. I tried a lot of things only
reinstall the Linux again.

Now I use Linux Mint 12 with gnome 3.2 and the intel on borad graphic-
chip works not so bad, but it's kind unsatisfying when you got such a
"strong" graphic card and didn't know how to use it.

Can anyone can give me some advice or/and help? What operation software
do you use? Does it work properly. Can I run an Linux Distro run as OS
alone or do I always need Windows to get the complete possibilities?

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers,
Stephan
--