Problem booting from dvd

I have an old VGN-Z570AN, which has for many years dutifully forged on
trough several Ubuntu releases.  I have stopped upgrading at 11.04, due to
a severe Unity allergy, but now decided it was time to move ahead.  Also,
at the time of the first installation, I installled a 32-bit system, and
now that I intend to do a full reinstall, it will be 64-bit.  So, I burned
a mint-14-mate dvd.

Tried to boot just for a test; no go: the screen is stuck at the vaio log,
and no boot.  I checked a few things:

1) The dvd is fine; it booted on another box, flawlessly.

2) The laptop optical reader is fine; on a running linux it mounts the dvd
correctly.  Also, it boots from an ubuntu cdrom so my guess is that the
problem is dvd X cd.

3) Possibly unrelated: I cannot access the BIOS when turning the system
on.  I tried both holding and repeated clicking of all F-keys and ESC, both
before and after the vaio logo.     No menu or anything was forthcoming.

Any ideas?

Arnaldo