spreadubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: [ubuntu-marketing] use of Launchpad mailing list

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Matthew East  wrote:
>>
>> I noticed recently that there is a ~spreadubuntu team in Launchpad
>> with its own mailing list.

SpreadUbuntu is to be understood as a subteam of the marketing
team, but also as a *normal* opensource project in the sense that we
plan coding and using branches extensively. The marketing-team list is
a discussion list, while the SU list will be more of a technical type
of list to discuss what we want into the project and eventually
technical
details about our code.

>> I'd like to request that this sub-project of the marketing team uses
>> the regular marketing team mailing list for discussions: with all the
>> difficulties that this team has had lately with finding a direction,
>> the last thing that it needs is for a project that could potentially
>> actually get some work done to be branching off and working on a
>> separate mailing list.

In that sense the project is to be seen as a project (with code,
branches, developers) and not a direct subteam of the marketing team
(which is more of an advocacy team) even though we all are also
members of the marketing team.

We have the *permission* of the team to analyze the creation of a
repository for marketing material, and so we decided to create a new
different infrastructure including a list (and had already this
discussion with people from LP) so we don't go around annoying
marketeers with technical discussions and such. We are in NO WAY
making (or trying to make) any distance to the Marketing Team (our
meetings happen in the m-t channel) as such.

>> It's generally desirable for projects in the Ubuntu community to use
>> an existing list rather than begin a new one. Further, as you may
>> know, we prefer that recognised projects use Ubuntu mailing lists at
>> this time, rather than Launchpad mailing lists:

I did notice this, but as much as we are part of the ubuntu community
we need a channel of communication as an open source project as such,
more than as a discussing team/subgroup within another team.

>> --

Best regards,

Rubén.
https://launchpad.net/~huayra