Re: StartUbuntu Blueprints

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Pierre van Male <vmalep@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Dear Ali,

Hello Pierre,

Thank you so much for your email :)

> First of all, I am happy to have you back!

Thank you. I am glad to be here, yet again :)

> To lead a campaign of this kind must be frustrating, but do not think that
> we have all just given up...

I know most have not yet given up but the project is not moving forward the
way I hoped or planned for it. We still haven't done much yet. While I have
converted 22 machines to Linux in short period of time, I am not happy with
what I have done. You see, I might be very demanding but my ambitions have
no limits :) I hope you see my point.

> As for me, I am very busy and I do not plan to do proselytism.

I am aware of that challenge. Everyone is busy. Even me. I do have 3 super
active projects at the same time (StartUbuntu, Ubuntu GNOME and ToriOS). To
cope with all of these, I must be fast and direct to the point. I have to
divide my time between these 3. I know it is crazy to lead 3 projects at
once but I can't resit :D

> However, I am slowly developing the plan to make sell Ubuntu and Linux
> Mint Mate DVD by the café located in the same building than our office. I
> developed the A4 paper to be displayed and DVD sleeves. I have not to sit
> with the manager of the café to show her all this.

Glad to see some activities but few quick notes so you and everyone else
understand what is required at this stage:
1- Just for the record, Linux Mint is not part of StartUbuntu Project.
Wait, don't get me wrong yet :) I am not against any system at all. Linux
is Linux, it does not matter what is the name of the distribution. However,
I don't want to confuse ourselves and our users. 8 options are too much
already if you know what I mean. If we will add Mint, why not Fedora? why
not A,B, etc etc? there are 300 active Linux Distributions and we can't use
all that. StartUbuntu is focusing from now until 4th of April, 2014 on
Ubuntu and its official variants only :)

2- While the Internet Cafe might be a good place to spread the word, I am
just wondering, is this enough? forgive my Q but I'd really like to know.
Because, if this is a good place to spread the word, that is really great.

> And I am also trying to meet with computer students to offer them to be
> trained on Linux. But this take times and does not bring immediate
> "conversion".

There is a reason why I registered this one:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/startubuntu/+spec/universities

IMHO, the best places ever that we can spread the word within are
Universities, Colleges, Schools, etc.
So many students, word of mouth can be faster than the speed of light. I
highly believe that is our best place at this stage.

> Also, I believe we should not consider the 8th of April as a deadline, but
> rather as a landmark.

I'm sure I have stated this before but allow me to re-do that :D
I am announcing to all StartUbuntu community that:
*8th of April, 2014 is 'not' the end of StartUbuntu Project 'but' the
beginning of new phase.*

That was my original plan, even before this project is called/named
"StartUbuntu".

So, be sure everyone that it is just the beginning. We haven't started yet.

Why then I am so concerned about that date?
Well, at this phase, our aim is to save the old machine from trash + save
some money for the people who might upgrade or buy new hardware.

Perhaps we should not worry about that. Perhaps I should not worry too much
about the world. But, why not while we can?

> I guess many of the private user will really start worry about this issue
> once this date will be over and it will still be time afterwards to spread
> the word and inform them.

See above :)

> Anyway, I will keep you posted from the progress from my side (in Addis)
> and I am convinced that we are doing everyone a good job with the
> capacities we have.

Thank you for everything, highly appreciate your efforts :)

Yes, we are doing a good job but there is a chance to do even better :D

> Best regards,
> Pierre

Good luck and thanks again!