subunit-dev team mailing list archive

Re: [Fwd: Extensions to the subunit protocol]

On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 09:54 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:

> > (should we have a subunit mailing list for this sort of thing?)

We do :).

> > Samba is getting pretty close to using "standard" subunit internally
> > and I've separated the actual test runner from the displayer. I think
> > I've got a pretty good idea now of what sort of extensions we'll need
> > in Subunit.
> >
> > * optionally supporting the message on the same line as the
> > error/failure/skip

This is fine.

> > * a "testsuite" command that can be used to set a mandatory prefix for
> > the test names

Could you tell me a bit more about this.

And for the following, could you perhaps describe how these work/sample
behaviour? I'm not clear if you're talking about library API's, perl
binding specifics, or filters in a filter chain, or items in the stream.

> >  * "skip-testsuite" command: Used to indicate that a particular
> > testsuite (and all its tests) was skipped
> >  * "testsuite-count" command: Used to indicate the number of
> > testsuites that's going to be run
> >  * "testsuite-result" command: Used to report the overall result of a
> > testsuite (we have this to ensure that test commands use the right
> > exit code depending on whether they reported failures).

At least for this one specifically, subunit filters currently derive
this from the behaviour across the stream; if you've specific rules
about what counts as pass/fail we can look at doing that via options to
control the heuristics, or a stream element as you suggest. I'm inclined
to the former as it preserves the ability to aggregate.

> > Do you think it makes sense to have any of the last three in the
> > upstream subunit?

I'll need to understand them before I comment :).

-Rob