subunit-dev team mailing list archive

RFC: Tribunal

I've just updated Tribunal (https://launchpad.net/tribunal) to work
with new versions of testtools.

In real life recently, Robert made comments about making Tribunal more
subunit-oriented. I'm generally in favour of that, given the recent
work that's been going on with subunit. However, I'm not exactly sure
how it should work.

To interact with any test suite, Tribunal needs to be able to:
  - discover tests
  - run any arbitrary subset of them
  - display the results

Ideally, I'd like some kind of configuration or project file that you
can give to Tribunal which tells it how to discover tests and how to
run them. I think it would also be nice if Tribunal could display
pretty much any arbitrary subunit stream, making it something of a
results analysis tool, rather than just a runner.

The discovery part is pretty simple, I think. You just need to specify
a command that lists all the tests.

The run-arbitrary-subset bit is harder, I think, and I don't really
know what to do there.

Thoughts appreciated,
jml

Follow ups