subunit-dev team mailing list archive

Re: relicencing subunitt [or some parts anyway]

Robert Collins wrote:
> Hi, you've been CC'd to this because you have code of some sort within
> subunit.
>
> If you're also on the subunit-dev list, feel free to drop your name from
> the CC list :).
>
> As the title says, I want to relicence subunit.
>
> I'm considering something LGPL/BSDish.

+1, at least for whatever code I have copyright on in the tree. Any
particular reason for MIT/BSD rather than the Apache license?
> Subunit defines a network protocol; while there is value in having
> multiple implementations, it doesn't make sense to force folk to write
> such an implementation just to output from their preferred language if
> the thing they are outputting from isn't GPL. In particular, making
> someone do that just causes extra work, and doesn't buy the commons of
> GPL code anything - once a test stream is on the wire, Subunit will read
> it - thats what its there for!

This is the key point for me: Subunit is primarily a protocol, and
having a good (usable) reference implementation will enable more people
to use it.

Cheers,

Jelmer