swift team mailing list archive

Re: Relation of Swift and Filesystem

Hi Alex,

Swift is designed to be used for generic blob storage with a RESTful API.
It is not designed to do block storage and thusly doesn't provide a file
system like interface.  Swift is implemented on top of local file
systems (like XFS) and the objects, and metadata are distributed equally
across the cluster.  This design does not require a CFS to be used for the
storage of files.

Feel free to let me know if you have any further questions.

--
Chuck