syfi team mailing list archive

Re: [HG syfi] minor updates

>>> I know :). Then I didn't understand what you meant by:
>>>
>>> I tested some nonlinear variants of Poisson that come from convex
>>> functionals. In these cases Newton should work.
>>>
>>> Did you mean, a Newton solver should work from any starting point?
>>>
>>> Harish
>>
>> Yes,  for an equation like
>> -Delta u + u**p
>>
>> where p is odd.
>
> OK, and by "work" do you mean will head in the right direction (not
> necessarily at a quadratic rate)? If that is what you meant, then this
> is true of these hyperelastic materials as well. The strain energy is a
> convex function of the deformation measure.
>
> Harish

For the above equation I think there should be only one minimum and so
it will head in the right direction. I'm not sure whether it should be
quadratic.
If it is convex it can have several minium and it may therefore head
towards different minima at different times but I didn't think it could head
off to infinity (or creating a singular matrix) ?

Kent