Re: [Question #223650]: Any news?

Hi there everyone,

I feel bad about leaving you hanging there without any news, so I might
just have to give you a quick update -- no excuses :-)

I am still somewhat working on Syncany in my free time with a friend, but
we scoped it down so much that if there is going to be a release, it's
certainly not what is shown in the pictures on the website. We're trying to
make a command line version to be integrated with Sparkleshare. So Syncany
would be the backend similar as Git is right now -- for a start.

Goal is to make somewhat of a version control system with encryption &
deduplication capabilities and transparent storage plugins. At a later
stage, it could be a daemon running in the background. For now, it should
be triggered by SparkleShare "syncany sync-up" and "syncany sync-down".

There's a branch here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~syncany-team/syncany/core2
Not compilable yet, not runnable yet. But all the new stuff is done in pair
programming, with the knowledge of all the other failed attempts. The
branch still includes lots of old stuff, we're still throwing things out
and reuse them if useful.

- The deduplication/chunking framework (org.syncany.chunk) is somewhat
stable and completely modulized. Check out the Deduper class.

- The connection/transfer-plugin framework (org.syncany.connection.plugins)
always worked quite well. Even in the code from two years ago. There's no
need to put much brains into that. The current branch only contains the
"local" plugin.

- We're working on the most important part right now, the user databases
(in memory cache, including the chunk/file cache) in
org.syncany.experimental.db -- making user databases writable to the disk
(1..n files), loadable from disk (1..n), comparable with each other (for
the sync algorithm). The database is pretty much the core part of
everything. If we get that right, the only challenge will be the sync
algorithm.

Just so that everyone understands the complexity, here's what technologies
we have to deal with: deduplication, synchronization in a distributed
system (time synchronization with vector clocks), version control,
encryption, minimization of transfer latency, ...

I'm not making any promises anymore. This is a spare time project, which
we'll continue to pursue when we have the time. We both work full time, but
still meet once or twice a week to code on Syncany.

Hope you guys stay tuned.

Cheers
Philipp

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM, The Ha <question223650@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx