testtools-dev team mailing list archive

hard dependency on unittest2?

So, I'd like to add a hard dependency on unittest2 in testtools.

Here's my logic:

We're now actively executing on the 'feed improvements upstream'
desire. Each such improvement once its in the stdlib is not usable for
another 10 years or so while folk raise their min python version
slowly.

unittest2 is (only) backports of those improvements to older pythons.
It has no experimental features - its the stdlib and only the stdlib.

So - rather than carrying the features we've added in testtools, once
they are in the stdlib, we can inherit them via unittest2.

This will make e.g. fixing test discovery permanently a lot easier on me :)

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins@xxxxxx>
Distinguished Technologist