tomdroid-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Tomdroid name, potential legal issue, do we care?

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Sandy Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> You my have heard that Tomdroid renamed itself to Tomdroyd to avoid
> trademark infringement on "droid" (owned by LucasArts).

I'm sure you meant Twidroyd. ;)

At first, I thought "it couldn't be, how about the motorola droid?" but a
quick google revealed:

"DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm Ltd. and its related companies. Used
under license." on
http://mediacenter.motorola.com/content/detail.aspx?releaseid=12059&newsareaid=22

> I don't know if this is really a valid concern at all, but I figured since
> Tomdroid
> isn't in the market yet now would be a good time to decide if anyone
> cares about the potential for trouble.

Yes, thanks for pointing it out.

Does anyone on this list know what the other *droid or droid* on the android
market are doing? There must be a few of them..

> For what it's worth, I'd be fine with you guys simply calling
> yourselves "Tomboy for Android".  I'm guessing the name only matters
> when you distribute it, so using "tomdroid" for the project name, repo
> name, and in code probably wouldn't be an issue.

I think we'll go that way. Thanks for the permission to use Tomboy. As far
as distributiong, another quick google revealed that the android market
takes trademark complaints quite seriously:
http://en.andigg.com/android-market-trademark-complaint-received/

For now, I won't rename the launchpad project unless someone strongly
suggests otherwise.

I wonder how much it is to license the use of droid. ;)

Too bad I've been paying for tomdroid.org for two years.. ;)
--
Olivier Bilodeau <olivier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>