Re: feedback for ToriOS-i386-beta2.iso

Den 2015-02-24 20:37, Israel skrev:
> Hi again!
>
> On 02/24/2015 01:14 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>
>> Hi again, I looked at your 'partition-help' file Good to add the
>> current RAM (and make it clear that it should be Mibibytes) and you
>> should add a little to be safe for suspending - or I think it is for
>> hibernating. Your text about MacOS is also relevant - Remember to add
>> lines for the xterm window (and check that it works without
>> scrolling). Must it work in netbook screens with 1000x600 pixels? Who
>> should make the final file? You or I? Best regards Nio
>
> Ok, I incorporated your suggestions.  I still want xedit to the default
> opener for the test file, as I think it works well for this purpose, and
> if it doesn't exist use xterm to your specifications
>
> Look at the text in this one and double check my reasonings to make sure
> things are clear and correct.... they worked on my system.  I ran a
> testfile version where I used memory numbers less than the RAM I have
> and it looked fine.  I also tested with >= 512 and default to 512MB for
> all values of swap
>
> As for the final file, I will have to upload it to the obi branch... so
> I think we should continue to collaborate.  You check my work and I will
> implement things, or change things as needed.
> If I do something you don't like here please tell me.  I want OBI to
> work extremely well and be easier than ubiquity's manual partition (this
> is the reason for this help file).  I want OBI to be very easy to use,
> very clear and very intuitive.  I think we both want OBI to be the
> best.  The only thing it is really missing is an automatic home
> partition setup.  But this will have to wait.

Hi again Israel,

I think the xedit window will *always* be used in the live session
(because it is there). I wanted to change from it, because I think it is
not visible enough, it gets hidden behind gparted and the font is small.

Furthermore, it does not perform word wrapping correctly. The line
starting with OSX does not wrap, and the last part of it is hidden. The
*fold* utility in the xterm command line performs word wrapping, so that
you need not edit line breaks in paragraphs. See my version of
'partition-help'. But if the window size is too small, the user must
scroll, and two finger scrolling or wheel scrolling works. I could add a
scrollbar to the xterm window, if you think it makes things easier for
beginners.

I also noticed that the xterm font size (fa default) is absolute,
independent of the screen resolution, which means that the window has
the same size in the two resolutions 1024x768 (default in my Thinkpad)
and 800x600. Smart feature :-) but I'm not sure that it works like that
in all computers.

I think the advice about swap = twice the RAM is deprecated nowadays. I
described it in an earlier mail. If you change it, it is very important
to suggest the same size or larger in Mibibytes for hibernation. But if
you want to keep it at twice the RAM - OK, there are many old
recommendations about that. Maybe it helps when the computer has very
low RAM, but such cases should be covered by recommending minimum swap =
512 Mibybytes.

-o-

Finally, have not fear, I do not intend to upload anything that belongs
to the ToriOS iso file to the obi branch. I was thinking of editing this
'partition-help' file and letting you test it and suggest changes and
finally accept it (and use it). Otherwise you have to do the main work
with it anyway ;-)

I might upload a separate tarball for you and other people to test. I'm
thinking of various things to test, right now mainly the OEM feature.
But that is another thing, and should be discussed later.