Re: jwm-settings-manager update

Den 2015-05-06 14:48, Israel skrev:
> Hi everyone,
> I have been doing some very extensive work on the settings manager.
>
> One really big improvement I am working on is hardening the program
> against broken jwmrc files.
> This is a pretty major effort, and is not finished by any means...  but
> it has also exposed other issues and created some rather funny errors.
>
> For example,
> jwm-settings-manager works fine on my Utopic computer.
> it works fine on my super old desktop computer
> but it wouldn't work on my kids laptop
>
> so, I debugged it (by running gdb jwm-settings-manager)
> lo an behold I was getting a mysterious readdir() error.
> It was hard to find, because it only happened on one computer, so it has
> taken me about a week(?) to really find where the issue was.
> I have since prevented the initial crash from startup issue... so even
> if readdir() fails, it will only be after the user opens a specific
> portion of the program.
> that said, I do think I have finally crushed the error.
>
> There are new issues that have crept in since reworking the code so
> much.... and so I have made every effort to comment the code heavily,
> and clean up messy code, as well as restructure things that were not
> quite as nice.  So, the commenting in the code **should** make it much
> easier for anyone to jump in and work on something (as long as they are
> familiar with tinyxml2 and fltk... or if they want to study the
> documentation for those)
> commenting heavily in code also helps me to remember what I was doing in
> a function.  This way, if I can think of a better way to tackle the
> problem I will know what I was doing and how to implement the new code
> to produce the same result (but better)
>

> There are new features but those are mostly hidden to the user, and some
> are not fully integrated yet...  I am getting closer to the point that I
> am ready to release a stable version...  but not until I get the last
> bits of overhaul done.  It needs to be done.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> -Israel
> ToriOS Team

Hi Israel,

1. I'm looking forward to the new version, when you feel ready to upload
it :-)

2. Maybe you can use the new zmktbl and make a tarball of the system
where you make the iso file. Upload it for me to download and install in
my testing computer - and I can try to make nano work.

I guess it would not work, if it is integrated in your production
environment - then it would be too big, and there would be many private
things involved too - but it should work, if it is somehow separated.
Otherwise, maybe you can make a tarball of the relevant directory tree
only, and I can install it and add to my system whatever you think I
should add.