Re: zsync the Debian ISO

Hi Nio,
(inlines)

On 04/12/2016 05:10 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
Den 2016-04-12 kl. 04:09, skrev Israel:
Hey everyone,
zsync the Debian ISO for testing please!!

Hi Israel,

I'm testing in my Toshiba laptop as usual and connected the target drive, an SSD, via USB 3. This works well with other linux distros and versions, for example Ubuntu and Debian.

THANK YOU!!!
A. The live session looks good. I noticed two minor issues.

Bug 1 (small). The computer name of the live session is 'dahl-desktop'. Dahl means valley in Swedish. It is a nice name, but maybe you should provide a more generic computer name ;-)

Ah... Dahl is my last name, and does indeed mean Valley and is indeed of Swedish origin :D This must be from how I am trying to handle the systemd way of things to change the live name... I will revert to the less formal way.

B. Installing at the advanced OBI level

First I selected to installed the PAE kernel (and it was installed). Then I selected to stay with the non-pae kernel.

Bug 2 (small). The two progress windows overlap each other (in the center of the desktop). Please displace one of them upwards or downwards.

ahhh... I think I can address this easily (i hope :D )
Bug 3 (medium). There was no 'heads up' when the computer will tell you to remove the live drive and press Enter to reboot into the installed system.

Hmmm.. not sure about this one.....
C. I booted into the installed system.

Bug 4 (big). After the grub menu I arrived at a text screen (no graphical desktop) and a read-only file system :-(

This must be the fstab issue encountered earlier, I will check to see what I can find... it is the cause of most of those issues
This system is seriously broken (with and without the PAE kernel).

D. Installing at the basic OBI level

Bug 3 (medium). The target drive is busy, when I want to install it. The OBI should unmount all partitions and swapoff all swap partitions except on the live drive.

Unless you are installing a tarball from a mounted USB :) The fix for that may have not been specific enough, or something else might have happened. I will check. I might just make something that ASKS to unmount if an uncertain drive exists.
I unmounted manually, and the installer could continue.

E. I booted into the installed system.

The first time I rebooted, I arrived at the graphical login screen, and could continue into the desktop.

The second time I rebooted, I had a kernel panic. (It looked good at the grub menu.

The third time I rebooted, I had a text based grub menu, and I arrived at the graphical login screen, and could continue into the desktop.

The fourth time I rebooted, things were well behaved.

I did not test much in the installed system, but what I tested works (for example the wired network and the shutdown menu, the terminal window and the menu system.

This is the earlier mentioned issue... probably a wrongly identified fstab...

F. I connected the SSD internally (in the same Toshiba computer) and installed again at the advanced OBI level.

Now it was more successful, and I could login into the graphical user interface :-)

So there is a major issue installing to USB mounted drives still. I am not entirely sure how to address this. Does the UUID stay the same despite being a USB drive?
I will look into this issue more.

*. Conclusions and questions

- I notice that there is no 'real' web browser and I could not find any GUI tool to install program packages from the repositories (like synaptic). I could install iceweasel via apt-get.

There is a program included, but possibly is not on this one. I will rebuild. It is an indicator that allows searching and installing software from an icon indicator on the panel.
- Is this because there is no space within CD size?

yes.
- I suggest that there is a very clear instruction how to install program packages, because users may click away the 'firstrun' menu.

I will rebuild with the indicator
- The tarball seems functional, but I hope other people test other things, for example that it works to connect via wifi.

it has worked well for me in my network testing, however I will have to test on real hardware soon.
- I think there is a problem with the advanced OBI installer, that causes the installed system to fail, when the target drive is connected via USB.

Yes, we had this problem in precise too.  I will look into it now.

Best regards/Nio