Re: Debian derivatives census: ToriOS: welcome!

On Thu, 2016-12-15 at 18:23 -0600, Israel wrote:

> Hi, I am Israel, the main developer of ToriOS.

Hi, welcome to the list :)

> Jessie, ... is supported for a good length of time, thus providing an
> LTS version of ToriOS.

Speaking of LTS, you may want to take a look at Debian's LTS efforts:

https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

> We at ToriOS, are a rag-tag international band who all met through the
> Lubuntu Community, and our love for helping others.  Most of us are
> still active participants on the Lubuntu mailing list, and continue to
> help people who need assistance.

Some of you might be interested in joining Debian's LXQt/LXDE teams:

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/LXQtPackagingTeam

> Sure thing, we only modify JWM, though since Samuel Henrique has began
> maintaining JWM again after Jari Alto could not this is less needed,
> though I still provide a more up-to-date version.
> No other packages are directly modified.  We add additional packages
> through a PPA.

So it sounds like you are modifying the jwm source package and
rebuilding the binary package rather than modifying the binary package
directly. I'll update the wiki page to be clearer.

>  A binary menu generator for JWM
>  A graphical settings manager (JWM Settings Manager)

Have you talked to JWM upstream about these tools?

> The only package we modify is JWM, and I have assisted Samuel in
> updating this package to the current state in Debian Jessie.  This
> includes a revised control (adding SVG and jpeg support) and a more
> simplified rules file, etc...

Ok.

> I was unaware of this.  We directly use Debian and only add packages
> from a PPA, and modify only JWM.  After reading that it is unclear if I
> should modify it, as Debian is the main vendor of packages, rather than
> ToriOS

It would be good if your installer system or any metapackages you have
could set it up properly. There are a few different reasons for that,
the main one is that popcon and reportbug record that information.

> I am not sure if I have the time or funding to travel to Canada, as
> ToriOS receives no monetary funds.

Fair enough, if you ever get the chance it is a great experience.

> Thank you, I have been following this in preparation, and have already
> spoken with the project leader about this upcoming change.

Excellent.

--
bye,
pabs