Re: March Debian Testing ISO

Den 2018-03-15 kl. 09:12, skrev Nio Wiklund:
Den 2018-03-13 kl. 23:29, skrev Israel:
On 03/13/2018 02:48 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
Den 2018-03-13 kl. 18:08, skrev Israel:

Hi Nio
(inlines below)
I downloaded the current iso file and tested it.

1. zsync failed for me (I tried twice). I have a user at phillw.net,
and I could identify the file and get it (and the md5sum) via sftp.

Hmmm... it may be because I zsync the symlink... I just amended this!
2. I logged into the live graphical desktop environment. It looked
good, but I did not really test it this time.

Great!
3. I rebooted and selected the OBI in text mode. It worked and I could
install ToriOS (at the basic OBI level) :-)

Excellent!
4. I tried to reboot into the installed system. But the computer shut
down instead. Is this by intention?

Hmmm... not sure why this happened.  I will look into things.... might
be a systemd quirk
5. I booted into the installed system and it works. I did only some
superficial tests.

This is great, I am glad it works at the most basic level!!
I hope to get better time for more tests later.

Hi again,

1. Looking more into the text mode installer:

- At the advanced level it offers 'Use gparted and show help', but gparted is a GUI tool.

This should be changed somehow, for example to suggest to select graphics mode and use gparted, or to use some text mode partitioning tool (possible but more difficult). On the other hand, in a computer, that does not work at all with ToriOS live in graphics mode, ToriOS is not a suitable operating system.

It is reasonable to do the partitioning in graphics mode, then reboot and run the installation in text mode (which needs less RAM).

Anyway, it works via 'obiroot' and 'obiswap' as it should :-)

... and the installation was successful, a working system was installed, and the previous system was available via the grub menu :-)

2. RAM management

- In the installed system I notice, that the available RAM reported is only 2675 MiB (but 4096 MiB is installed). It seems that the PAE, Physical Address Extension, does not work correctly although it is supposed to be an i686 version of Debian.

It is the same with ToriOS live, while for example Lubuntu Bionic i386 (which also has an i686 linux kernel) reports 3918 MiB (some of the 4096 MiB is used for some administration).

- Testing the available RAM in ToriOS 1.0 (based on Jessie):

- The live system is i586 (non-pae) and free -m reports 2680 MiB, which is what should be expected.

- I installed ToriOS 1.0 including the PAE kernel, linux 3.16.0-5-686-pae.

Free reports 3928 MiB, similar to what Lubuntu Bionic reports.

So there is something fishy with the new ToriOS based on Stretch. Either it really uses a non-PAE kernel, or a PAE kernel that is not really working correctly. Have you checked if there is a separate PAE alternative available from Debian?

Hi again Israel,

I tested in my old IBM Thinkpad T42 with a non-pae kernel, that can work with fake-pae and forcepae boot options.

It booted into ToriOS Stretch without adding any forcepae boot option. I don't know if you have added it, but this is what I saw in a terminal window of the live session:

---
Welcome to ToriOS
root@torios ~ # lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: ToriOS
Release:        9.4
Codename:       stretch
root@torios ~ # uname -a
Linux torios 4.9.0-6-686 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.82-1+deb9u3 (2018-03-02) i686 GNU/Linux
root@torios ~ # grep ^flags /proc/cpuinfo
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe bts eagerfpu est tm2
root@torios ~ # grep pae /proc/cpuinfo
root@torios ~ #
---

When I boot the T42 with Lubuntu Bionic, I have to use the boot option forcepae, and a PAE flag is detected

---
lubuntu@lubuntu: # grep -o pae /proc/cpuinfo
pae
---

This makes me think that the i686 debian system has a non-PAE kernel.

Have you checked if there is a separate PAE kernel alternative available from Debian?